Sunday 18 September 2011

Richmond Sausages
















Credits to Mr Juliano Cunnington for the title of this post.

A tough introduction to the Premier Calendar.
From what I hear, I couldn't have chosen a more challenging route with which to inaugurate myself to the top level of road racing in the UK.
Enough excuses.

Clem and I drove North for this one. For general reference - the A1M is definitely a more reliable and flowing route than the M1, as we discovered on our way home. We arrived late Saturday afternoon and headed straight off the Motorway towards Richmond and beyond to the famed Buttertubbs to recce the circuit for tomorrow.

Yep it's steep. 1st gear in a diesel steep.

Luckily I'd packed my 11-25, but in hindsight I should have found the nearest LBS and invested in a 12-27.

Sunday. The civilised 11am start gave us plenty of time to get ready. We arrived at the sign on with an hour to prepare and lock up before the field was neutralised and we headed from Catterick Garrison to Richmond for the start ceremony.
Cobbles, Tannoy, Pros, Nerves.

Once we were off, it wasn't long before people started to chip off the front for early attacks. I almost got caught up in one of them as Sigma and Endura attacked, but I thought better of them and held back knowing that everything had to be saved for the climb.

We hit the climb about 1:30 down on a group of 4 that had made an early attack. 2 Raleigh, 1 Sigma and Andy Tennant from RCS. I had managed to stay with the front group of chasers until this point.
We began to climb and all was well.
Then it ramped up to 25% and people, then support cars started to pass me. It was all over.
I got to the top with a decent enough group, but it was no longer the main chase group.



Whoever said 'just get to the finishing circuits and you're laughing' really was having a joke. The 3 finishing circuits around Catterick are devastating. Open roads, wind and dead tarmac that seems to sap you of any ounce of energy. Motivation dwindled but there were still marshals out so we kept going.
Thank you to fellow ERRL rider Jamie Caldwell of StIves CC for pulling through for the duration.
Nothing like the commentator announcing 'there are still riders coming in' to cement your confidence.

I aimed to finish. I finished. Job done.

Richmond GP 2011 by rophowells at Garmin Connect - Details