Tuesday 7 August 2012

Belgium again

Apologies for the absolute lack on content recently.  New job, new flatmate - excuses.

Here we go again.

Belgium again this weekend.



 For whatever reason, the racing season appears to be waning in the UK come August.  Just when the weather has sorted itself out and we're anticipating an Indian Summer to accompany the last week of the Olympics, all of the E/1 cat riders find themselves borrowing a mate's copy of the CTT handbook (thanks Phil), or ferrying across to Belgium for a street party with some cyclists flying down the high street 23 times at 8 minute gaps.

Last year I regret that I found myself in Pembrey racing circuit, having finished a Reg C+ crit.  I was pestering the commissaire about my position to ensure that I took home my duly eared points tally, which would secure my 1st cat license, only for Hefin Price, now of Team Wiggle to say: 'why the hell would you want a 1st cat license?'  The logic being that by remaining a 2nd cat you'd be able to race Regional A road races from August onwards, since they are of far greater abundance (existence actually) on the BC calendar later in the year - in comparison to National A or B races.



Anyway, rant over, the Prijs Maurice Blomme - Oostnieuwkerke (Wijk De Most) 1-12B Elite-U23 Open Omloop was a ballsy affair.  I would reckon that 1 in 10 riders was British; representatives of twenty-3c Orbea, InGear, V02 development and Viciuos Velo were in attendance, as well as the Kasteels and Omega-Pharma-Quicksteps of the local regions just to spice things up.

Pre race inhibitions cast aside on the first lap and of course I was attacking.  When in Rome...  I'm glad to say that I had the legs this week to actually attack a race of this fierce calibre indeed to manoeuvre up and down the bunch with relative ease and with a lap to go, I chinned off the front of the 2nd group on the road hoping to roll in just behind the late break of 7 who were up the road.  As if...  I was swallowed up 50 yds from the line and finished 26th.  One positive is that despite the strength of the KWAK on offer at this particular 'cafe', Belgian commissaires never fail to place every rider.



Late season lack of motivation was swept aside with cobwebs by this very positive day's racing.  More of the same.